Prime Target Tokyo 2020 Squad
The overall aim of the Prime Target Tokyo 2020 Squad is to increase the number of WA based athletes selected on Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games Teams.
In 2015, the Athletics WA "A Squad" was established for a group of twelve ‘Emerging’ (Athletics Australia U19 Talent Squad) and other WA-based senior athletes aged 20 years and over who have the potential to represent Australia on senior national teams within 1- 4 years. The "A Squad" was funded by DSR and supported by the Western Australian Institute of Sport and aimed to increase WA athletes’ performance through the provision of specialized strength and conditioning training.
The Prime Target Tokyo 2020 Squad is desgined as an extension to the inaugural "A Squad" and aims to support up to 10 athletes to:
• Improve athlete performance by accessing strength training programs in a world class training environment;
• Provide a monitored strength and conditioning servicing to the next crop of 'emerging athletes';
• Provide access to recovery facilities at WAIS;
• Provide access to a sturctured injury prevention program with a Physiotherapist, with screenings, individual and/or group sessions, and physiotherapy/massage treatments when available;
• Support WA based athletes demonstrating a high level of performance with the potential to represent Australia on a senior international teams between 2018 and 2020; and
• Reduce the incidence and impact of injuries on performance.
The squad will be able to access the WAIS High Performance Training Centre on days TBC, under the supervision of a qualified S&C Coach..